- The HPL 2015-16 review
- Arsenal champs. West Brom down – Wk 38
- Sky Ref keeps Arsenal top. Toon safe! Wk 37
- Gunners top, Foxes slip, Irons poised – Wk 36
- Leicester and Mahrez in clear – Wk 35
- Vardy in red card Moss – Wk 34
- Carroll elbow kills Arsenal – Wk 33
- Norwich up Newcastle down – Wk 32
- Bilic spot on over Irons hard luck
- West Ham hefty penalty – Wk 31
- Hand of Wes escapes – Wk 30
- The Hypothetical Premier League
- Foxes top for first time – Wk 29
- Top four so tight – Wk 28
- LVG floors Arsene title bid – Wk 27
- Time’s up for LVG’s United – Wk 25
- TV Eye, TV Refs
- Newcastle and Villa ripped off – Wk 23
- Martinez after Instant Karma
- Wk 21/22 table, reports, results
- Wenger Wonders
- Wk 20 table, reports, results
- Wk 19 table, reports, results
- Wk 18 table, reports, results
- Wk 17 table, reports, results
Gunners top, Foxes slip, Irons poised – Wk 36
- Updated: 19/05/2016
The Hypothetical Premier League – using video refs for the crunch calls.
Matches with HPL score change in red always (with real-life result in brackets).
Saturday, April 30
Arsenal 1-0 Norwich Referee: Mike Jones
Everton 2-1 Bournemouth Referee: Neil Swarbrick
Newcastle Utd 1-0 Crystal Palace Referee: Mike Dean
Cisse handball or not? Well, Cabaye’s failure to convert Mike Dean’s controversial penalty award for Palace renders the entire debate pointless – much like the visitors, who in the HPL are far from safe. Meanwhile, Rafa’s Newcastle continue to climb. They are now five points clear of danger.
Stoke City 1-1 Sunderland Referee: Craig Pawson
Another late handball, this time correctly punished with a Sunderland penalty – coolly converted by Defoe.
West Brom 0-3 West Ham Referee: Lee Mason
Watford 3-2 Aston Villa Referee: Anthony Taylor
Sunday, May 1
Manchester United 2-2 Leicester City (1-1) Referee: Michael Oliver.
Mahrez is clearly fouled in the first half. No penalty given by still haphazard Oliver. Then Drinkwater fouls Martial inside the area in the second half. Oliver sends off the Leicester man but fails to point to the spot, wrongly awarding a free kick instead. The only blessing is two wrongs make it all alright – though a point for Leicester means Arsenal are back on top.
Southampton 4-2 Manchester City Referee: Andre Marriner
Swansea 3-1 Liverpool Referee: Roger East
Monday, May 2
Chelsea 2-2 Tottenham Referee: Mark Clattenburg
A crackling, red-hot, vicious derby with the soon-to-be deposed champions hell-bent on preventing their north London rivals succeeding them. Tough game for Clotto. With video refs there would have been at least three Spurs red cards – for Lamela (stamp on Fabregas), for Dier (shocker on Hazard) and for Dembele (eye poke on Costa). Clattenburg saw the Dier horror foul but played advantage to Chelsea and never returned to the crime. Weird. As it is, Spurs continue to lose ground on the HPL leaders.
The Hypothetical Premier League table Week 36 (up to and including May 2)
|2||Leicester City||36||18||14||4||65||40||25||68||1st (77)|
|3||West Ham United||35||19||10||6||63||42||21||67||6th (59)|
|5||Manchester City||36||19||7||10||67||39||28||64||4th (64)|
|7||Manchester United||35||16||9||10||45||35||10||57||5th (60)|
|12||Stoke City||36||11||10||14||34||53||-19||43||10th (48)|
|14||Newcastle United||36||10||11||15||42||62||-20||41||17th (33)|
|15||Swansea City||36||11||7||18||38||47||-9||40||13th (43)|
|16||Crystal Palace||36||8||12||16||35||49||-14||36||16th (39)|
|18||West Brom||36||7||15||13||33||49||-16||36||14th (41)|
|19||Norwich City||35||8||10||17||40||59||-19||34||19th (31)|
|20||Aston Villa||36||4||6||26||28||74||-46||18||20th (16)|